Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Holidays

* I did not post very many pictures from the holiday parties. The first reason is because I am trying to keep things brief on this blog (at least until I catch up). The second reason is purely because I have been an awful photographer lately. Meaning, I have not taken great pictures or I have forgotten to take pictures at all!!!!

Thanksgiving
at the
Cabin!!
Thanksgiving at the cabin was a blast! Although two of my brothers and their families were missed, those of us there had a great time preparing food, eating, riding ATV's, making ornaments, coloring, visiting and laughing, and talking about things we are thankful for. Everyone contributed tasty food for the feast and my parents always prepare fun activities for their grandchildren. This year the kids painted ornaments for the small Christmas tree that sits in the kitchen. Then they went on a hunt for mice. Since my parents have caught mice occasionally, they thought it would be fun to hide little toy mice around the kitchen and family area. The kids loved searching for them and then getting prizes!!! It was also fun to have my Grandma Frank there too!


Frank Family German Dinner
I really wish I had taken a picture of the food. I LOVE our German dinner. My mom and dad make authentic German dishes that taste and look beautiful. The rest of us bring delicious American food!!! Food is a big highlight of the night, however, the entertainment is just as enjoyable. The kids, and occasionally some adults, share talents, then the kids play out the nativity (which is directed by one of my older nieces - this year, Hannah). This year Thayne was a wise man bringing baby Jesus a present, but he was acting a little noddy and kept getting in trouble!!! After the nativity my dad brings out a German pyramid, lights the candles on it, asks the kids some questions about Jesus' birth, and then lets them blow out the candles. The kids soak up the fun ALL night long! At the end of the night we exchange gifts and visit a little longer before heading home. Growing up our German dinner was always on Christmas Eve, but now that my sibling and I have kids of our own, my parents want us to start our own Christmas Eve traditions, so now we have this dinner earlier in December.


The Ward Family Home Evening

I love ALL of our Christmas traditions. This party is another favorite! We get together with Jake's aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, etc. and have FHE, which includes, dinner and dessert, stories, activities, and Santa!!! This year my SIL, Megan, gave all the kids leis and had them dance to, "Mele Kalikimaka", while her husband sang it. The kids had so much fun and were so cute to watch!! Previously, at our church (ward) Christmas party, Thayne had sat on Santa's lap. However, before it was his turn, and while he was standing in line, he told Jake, "That isn't the real Santa." Jake said, "Why do you think that?" and Thayne said, "because look at his beard, don't you see those lines in it and how it is not quite right?" Jake laughed and told Thayne he was absolutely right, it wasn't the real Santa, it was his helper. Back to this FHE, when Santa came out, Thayne told Jake, "Yep, he's the real one!!!" When he was called to sit on Santa's lap he listed EVERYTHING he wanted for Christmas - and it wasn't a small list! Clearly, he was excited to have the real Santa listen to him. :)


Texas Christmas Eve with Friends!!!
Every Christmas Eve Jake and I make a Texas dinner (I would say a delicious, gourmet, authentic Texas dinner, but we are still trying working on the recipes and/or looking for better recipes). This year we invited some good friends over to enjoy the evening with us. Besides eating, we attempted to, read a Christmas story (the kids were way to distracted) and play out the nativity (just completely forgot). We are still working on creative traditions for our Texas Christmas Eve, but, luckily, because of great company, we had so much fun opening presents, visiting, and laughing together! Thanks Steve and Julie for a fun and memorable night!


Actually, the beef brisket we cooked was the best we've made since we started this tradition (found the recipe on the web, right spices, not too tough, etc.)!!! The fruit salad was also delicious and festive and I give complete credit to my brother, Tim, who made this for our German dinner! Yummy - I will have to post the recipe! Julie made the dessert! She is an excellent cook and I should have given her more food assignments since our attempts at the side dishes didn't turn out so well, and since her dessert was SO tasty and delicious!!!




Christmas Day!!

Thayne LOVED Christmas morning. He was so happy that Santa had come by during the night. He saw a couple large boxes and said, "What!?!", kind of like, are you kidding me!!!! He was so excited and fun! He was very patient as we read from the bible and then took turns opening stockings and presents. Jake and I had so much fun too! I, especially, loved my present from Thayne. He got me the movie, "Hiro of the Rails". It's a Thomas movie that he thought we would have fun watching together!!! That has proven to be true! I guess he first wanted to buy me paper towels because he knew I liked those... I'm glad he got the movie instead!!


Our first visit of the day was to Grandma and Grandpa Ward's house! We had delicious homemade egg McMuffins and orange juice - another item of food we always look forward too! We had fun exchanging presents and visiting with each other. This year Jake's family started some new and very meaningful traditions and it was special to talk about them with each other and feel the true meaning of Christmas.
All throughout the morning, Thayne and his cousin, Mitch, had so much fun playing together. We couldn't get them to stand still for a picture, so the one above, is most accurate to how the morning went.

Jake and Josh took the boys out in the backyard to play in the snow, after they had played a while inside! The boys had so much fun!!! At least, until Thayne threw snow in Mitch's face, and the dogs ran way down to another neighbors yard and Jake and Josh had to chase them down. Fun memories. Seriously. :)


In the afternoon we headed to my Grandma Frank's house. She still loves to have everyone come over, even though it wears her out! She always has a nice spread of treats and snacks for us. The kids love cracking open different nuts that she has out! It is also fun to visit with my cousins that we don't see as often as we would like. My Grandma always likes to make sure we are having fun and eating. If she doesn't see us eating she will remind us where the food is and tell us to get some, and some more! She is so generous and loves to see us smile, especially, her great grandchildren. We love her so much and have loved this tradition!

5 comments:

Amie said...

Traditions are seriously the best. Looks like you have some great ones! :)

Becky said...

I miss being able to meet in at Grandma Wood's house. But meeting with family the weekend after makes up for it. I love traditions and that they are things your kids will remember too!

Zandra said...

That is so great that you have so many fun traditions with your families. I will have to mention to the ward Christmas party Santa that the beard may need replacing :)

Janet said...

I love the story about Thayne and the "fake vs real santa." That is so cute. He is going to get a kick out of it when he gets older. I don't think I took any pictures from Thanksgiving which is why I never blogged about it. It was fun to read about it and remember all of the fun things we did. I can't wait until it's our turn to try your Texas dinner. ;)

Bekah said...

You have been busy. Wow! Thanksgiving and Christmas, I love it! Thayne is getting so big, all grown up. The food looks so good too. I need to try your recipes.