This is Sally, our rabbit. She is the new addition to our family. She is beautiful and so soft. Most of you are probably wondering why on earth our little family would want another pet? Sally is a meat rabbit. No, we will not be eating Sally for dinner tonight or ever! We will breed her with George (Janet and Chet's male rabbit), sell some of the females, and then eat... I won't go into details about meat production, but if you have any questions call Jake!
This is the hutch that Jake built. He did such a great job. He's still working on it (the sideways door, for example, isn't going to be in that spot forever) to make it look and function perfectly (for our purpose)! Thanks Jake, you are the BEST!!!! This picture of Sally is really cheesy, but I had to post it because it shows her cute face!
Thayne named Sally. He really wanted to call her "Thomas", but we asked him to pick a girl name, and Sally it is! Thayne was really excited about Sally at first, but the newness has worn off, and he only asks about her occasionally.
Jake is Sally's caretaker. He made her hutch, feeds her, and cleans up her mess.
Dwight would just love to chase Sally. He gets really excited when we hold her. He always wants to be close to whoever is holding her and wags his tail uncontrollably until she is back in her cage. I'm not sure what would happen if we let them play together. I'd like to think he just wants to play, but... Well, we won't be trying that out!
I hold Sally the most. I love petting her. She is SO soft. She is a little tricky to hold because sometimes she scratches. Her claws are sharp. Once when Thayne was trying to hold her she scratched his leg. Luckily Thayne was wearing jeans and it really just scared him (it may have hurt just a tiny bit), however, it has made him nervous to hold her, ever since. The scratches don't bother me. It just looks like I had a bad mishap with some wire.
Jake is Sally's caretaker. He made her hutch, feeds her, and cleans up her mess.
Dwight would just love to chase Sally. He gets really excited when we hold her. He always wants to be close to whoever is holding her and wags his tail uncontrollably until she is back in her cage. I'm not sure what would happen if we let them play together. I'd like to think he just wants to play, but... Well, we won't be trying that out!
I hold Sally the most. I love petting her. She is SO soft. She is a little tricky to hold because sometimes she scratches. Her claws are sharp. Once when Thayne was trying to hold her she scratched his leg. Luckily Thayne was wearing jeans and it really just scared him (it may have hurt just a tiny bit), however, it has made him nervous to hold her, ever since. The scratches don't bother me. It just looks like I had a bad mishap with some wire.
Anyway, I guess we are becoming animal lovers. I never hated animals before but apparently I didn't love them as much as I should. Thayne will never know childhood life without pets. I am glad it makes us happy. I guess I never knew how much animals meant to Jake. He would get another dog if I would consent. He also wants to breed guppies. He really loves living things. That may seem ironic since he is also a hunter. Go figure.
18 comments:
Marcie, we so need to get together! Cute bunny!
Cute bunny! What a fun experience for Thayne. I love that you let him name her. You guys are such good parents.
How funny. I didn't know Jake was the animal lover. You should get like four more dogs. I think they would fit really well in your home.
The hutch turned out great! You are going to eat the rabbits??? Just kidding, but I still don't know about the whole eating them part of it. I'm always embarassed when Chet tells people that we are going to eat the rabbits. It sounds pretty redneck. (Which is why I haven't blogged about it. :)) It will be hard seeing those cute little bunnies.
You should get a tarantula so you can catch up with the pet shop we have going at our house. :) Ethan is already talking about going to the cabin to catch a lizard for a pet. Ahhhh!
Well, Sally Jessie Jones, that bunny is cute! I am glad that you are pet lovers! Someone has to make up for people that aren't really into pets... like me! Sorry, but true!!
That looks like so much fun. I was in IFA the other day to buy dog food and Grace was in heaven looking at the cute bunnies, chicks and ducklings.
Sweet bunny rabbit.....I did not know there was such a thing as a meat rabbit! Kinda cool though!
So cute! The only pet we ever had was a bunny named floppys- loved him! You guys are such cute parents!
Don't do it. Don't eat these sweet easter animals! I am an animal lover myself so I'm glad that you guys are enjoying all of this fun. I just have one question. Do you have to skin them and prepare them? Blog about that.
WHA????! So confused by this whole meat thing? I guess we need to get together soon because we have a lot of catching up to do!!!! My first pet was a bunny, and I didnt mind the scratches either... but I dont think she really liked it much when I held her, lol. I think it is so great that you guys have pets. You are such an amazing Mom!!! I guess Im too lazy for pets!
That's great. Thayne is a lucky boy. What a cute little pet!
Mmmmmmm... bunnies!
I am still trying to figure out how I can raise a ewe on our little 1/4 acre here in the WJ... If I can, that means you will have to do the same. Your deck is going to get pretty crowded.
The only thing better than bunny meat is a cute tasty lamb!
When it’s time to breed your rabbit, make sure you don’t grab poor Dwight instead, that could get a little awkward for George. It won’t stop him, but I don’t want him to get a complex
Marcie, that is funny, you got a bunny. I need to bring Lily to see the bunny even though I took her to the mall and she was afraid of the easter bunny.
Very cute bunny! We had bunnies when I was younger. They were very cute and fun. We didn't know much about breeding them. One time I went out to see the little babies and they had been eaten. I was so sad! We were more careful after that!
Meat Rabbit? you will need to explain this to me. She is super cute and my kids would love to come see her!
Meat rabbit? I am totally confused. She sure is cute though-glad she lets you hold her-I remember Val's pet rabbit-Elvis-he was so mean and would never let anyone touch him!
Fun! Can we come and visit?
And, I mean fun to see it and pet it. Not to see it get turned into dinner.
Post a Comment