At Thayne's two year check up with the doctor I was told that boys usually don't start potty training until they are three. That was enough to convince me I had at least another year. I was enjoying Thayne being "little," so diapers weren't that bad. Well, in early June, Thayne was not quite 2 1/2, he started doing some funny things. First, if I happened to look at Thayne while he was going potty (even if I didn't even realize it right away) he would get mad. I wouldn't even mean to look at him, but he didn't even want me glancing. Second, he wasn't wetting his diaper at night. Third, he found a little training potty in our third bedroom (my sister-in-law had given it to me and I was storing it in our extra bedroom until Thayne turned three - when I was planning on potty training) and liked playing with it (don't worry I cleaned it and then washed his hands...).
Okay, back to early June one day, I was telling my mom (on the phone) how funny Thayne was acting with going potty. She said maybe Thayne was ready to start potty training. NO WAY!!!! I told her I was waiting until he was three! Later that afternoon he saw the little potty and said he wanted to use it. What??? Not just play with it, but use it. I decided maybe my mom was right. Still, I wasn't quite ready. I gave myself one week to prepare. I bought a children's potty book, m&m's as reward treats, training underwear, "real" little boy undies, and one package of pull-ups. I had some books at home (super nanny, toddler years..., etc.) that I read through and I called some people for advice. Now, I felt ready. I was DETERMINED. This was it. Once I started, I was NOT going back. I didn't want that to be an option.
Jake and I got Thayne excited and the first week started. The first couple days I stayed home with Thayne, set the timer to go off every 30 min, put Thayne in the big plastic training pants (no clothes), put the training potty in the bathroom, got the treat jar ready, and went to town. He did GREAT!!! The first day he used the potty three times (still had accidents in his pants). Second day, went several times in potty (less accidents in pants). I wasn't concentrating too much on #2 (poo), until I felt like he was getting the hang of #1 (pee), so he was still going #2 in his pants (not the funnest with the training pants, but I feel like they work so much better than pull-ups - which I am not a big fan of, although some people love them). Since he was catching on to everything so well, after the first couple days, I started dressing him (still using the big, bulky undies). We even started running errands (mostly places I knew where public toilets were located). On about day four I put on regular undies (used training ones for nap and pull-ups for bedtime).
Then we started working on #2. This was more difficult and took a little more time, but he never had more than about five accidents - TOTAL!!!!
The first week he was thrilled about everything, but once he realized it wasn't a game, he started throwing fits. I was getting frustrated and so was he. I knew he needed to go potty, but he would not want to sit on the toilet and he wouldn't even try to go. Then after battling it and then finally giving up, he'd have an accident (#1). Week two, my friend, Steph, told me (kindly) that getting frustrated wasn't helping. She suggested (while we're on an overnighter at my parent's cabin - and having heard some battles in the bathroom) giving Thayne respect. She said to trust Thayne if he said he didn't need to go, and then if he had an accident, to THEN reprimand him. Yes, that makes sense and it sounds much more pleasant, which it did turn out to be!!! Thank You, Steph!!!!! This made a world of difference.
Of course, Thayne had some accidents (very few though) and sometimes I did have to reprimand. Cold showers. I know, harsh, but they not only washed him off, they helped him to remember to use the potty right when he felt the urge. I knew the punishment had to be different than other punishments we use when he is naughty. I never got mad, I just kindly said, "we only go potty in the toilet, time for a cold shower." It was sad when I had to give him cold showers, he SCREAMED. They only lasted a few seconds, but it was enough for Thayne to realize he HATED them. It worked. He only had a couple accidents after that.
Total, it took about 4 weeks. Except for the first week of potty training, Thayne has NEVER wet the bed. He knows when he needs to go and he is great at telling me (I have to admit that he holds it really well). We used 10 pull-ups (well, we reused the clean ones because he just wore them at night) and then switched to normal undies.
I don't mean to brag and maybe this doesn't sound all that easy, but I am thrilled. I expected more accidents (esp. at night) and planned on them even. Thayne was totally ready. As much as the techniques we used worked for Thayne, it was all HIM!!!! I don't plan on my other kids being quite so easy (because I think it usually doesn't happen so fast). I wouldn't have been disapointed if it had taken longer, I just feel lucky and proud that it didn't.
*Sorry if you read this, think it is too long, and think I am one of those moms that thinks her kids are perfect. Well, Thayne is perfect for me!!!!
I did take pictures of Thayne on the "POTTY," but didn't feel like it was appropriate to display those ones. Thayne likes his undies like this better anyway. I LOVE silly boys!!!
14 comments:
Sounds like you guys had a great summer! That is awsome that Thayne potty trained so well, you are very luck, from what i hear it usually isn't that quick. But that is great he did so good. Jake would tell Tyler how it was going and some stories and Tyler would tell and may I say, you have one cute kid there! I love hearing about him!
-Lacey(Tylers wife)
Thayne's potty training really did go well. He is a little champ! You're going to have to coach me through this next little while. Check out my blog for Gabe's latest news! Good job Thayne! We love you!
P.S. I love the cute pictures!
I am soo glad potty training went so great! Way to go Thayne!! You are such a GREAT mom!! And I agree about the cold shower thing-that really helped Austin!
OK OK you are so potty training my kids when it is time!! :) I am seriously scared to death to do it but way to go - thats awesome!!
I was scared to potty train Alex, it's amazing how they let you know when they are ready. I need to take your advice on letting him tell me when he needs to go instead of bugging him all the time. We haven't had accidents in a long time however I catch him doing the potty dance frequently. I love the undie photos of Thayne he always looks like he has way to much fun!!
Way to go Marcie...better yet, way to go Thayne. I loved your long post and laughed all the way through it. Your such the cutest mom.
Way to go Thayne! That was a great little story. And really impressive. Charlie took forever. I think it was an issue for months. Yeah no more diapers that's got to feel good right?
NICE! Great pictures and fun story. Those moments always seem like a victory for mom...and child!
Great job Thayne! I will have to remember the whole "cold shower" trick :)
HOORAY!! I read your blog a few days ago, but just had time to comment! I love that you did the cold shower thing, we have done that with Oak too! It seriously works! I love you and little Thayne! Hooray for saving $80 a month from not buying diapers!
That's great. Congrats to both of you! Good thing you stuck with it.
gotta love those pics with the undies on his head! Those will be great for his wedding video!!!! Wow, Thayne (and YOU!!!) did such a good job at potty training! I know someone that has been potty training her little boy who is 3 for quite some time and he hasnt even gone in the pooty once yet! Im am really dreading the whole thing and am not counting on it being easy (so far, Kamryn has made sure that nothing be easy!) and dont worry, I know when you are writing these things you are thinking as I do.... why am I writing all of this? who is really going to want to read all of this??? but then there are people (like me) that enjoy reading it very much!!!!
You are the sweetest mom there is. If it is ok for you to give cold showers I am going to do it. Abbie has been potty trained fro a year and still has accidents-I think because she doesn't want to take a break from playing. Thanks!
Yeah for Thayne, I will send Lil to live with you for a few weeks when she is ready. That is definitely one thing I am not to anxious about it but I am excited to be done with diapers.
Post a Comment