Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Grandmother Just Like You!



This last Monday, April 14th, my Grandma Woods passed away. She just had her 92 birthday on April 7th (she was born in 1916). I have many great memories with Grandma. When I was younger (in elementary school) my parents went to Europe for vacation. While they were gone Janet and I stayed with Grandma. She made the BEST dinner for us. The part of the dinner I remember the most was shredded carrots and zucchini. I don't think I even liked cooked carrots until that point. She was a great cook and passed many yummy recipes on to my mom and I hope I get them all! I also remember swimming at grandma's pool. She loved to have us come over and swim. I'll never forget the tags we had to take with us to the pool, they were pretty beat up because they had been used so much. When I was really young I remember taking walks to the duck pond. Christmas was also always special at grandma's. She had a small tree by the piano and when we were young it was a tradition to get pajama's from her. As we got older we got movie tickets or money, and then as we got married she would give us a box of Clementine's. She loved showing us how much she cared for us (however, we didn't need presents to know that). My grandpa died before I was born and grandma had lived 39 years without him. She always kept his picture on the little table by the couch and I always loved looking at it and wondering all about him. My grandma was ALWAY kind. She also had a great sense of humor. She had a big family with kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids, and tons of birthdays, but she never forgot to call and wish me a happy one! She was strong in the gospel and was very faithful. Family was a priority for grandma. Every year we got together for Buehner reunions, actually we still do. I think there are several hundred people that attend now. Sunday visits growing up consisted of visiting our Grandma's and it was something to look forward to. Another very special part of Grandma was her daughter Anne. Anne had mental handicaps and lived until she was 65. Anne lived in a special home, but I remember on holidays when Anne was with Grandma at her house. Grandma was so sweet with Anne. She would give her jewelry to wear (sometimes it was just play jewelry) and Anne loved it. She would show everyone what grandma had given her. I am so lucky she was part of so many special occasion in my life. I love my grandma Woods. I'm grateful for many wonderful and special memories with her. I'm excited that she is now with so many people that love her, including, my grandpa, two of her sons, and a daughter, and our own son, Emmett. I hope she gives him a hug from me, Jake, and Thayne. I can't wait to be with them again someday.

Love, Marcie


11 comments:

Janet said...

What a beautiful tribute to Grandma! I would like to journal about her too so that I won't forget all of my wonderful memories of her. I don't think I could ever write about her as perfectly as you did though. That was awesome!

Neena said...

Moose-
I am so sorry to hear about your grandma, I loved the comments about her. Love Neena

Elder and Sister Frank said...

Marcie, I'm so happy that you have such fond memories of Grandma Woods and that you would think to share them on your blog. She would think that is so neat! Love, Mom

Allyson said...

What a sweet tribute, Marcie! That was really touching. I'm glad you have such neat memories with her! Grandma's are super special!

Becky said...

Way to go I sat here crying the whole time. Alex keeps asking me what is wrong. I have to say, I was laughing when I read about the swimming tags and going to the duck pond. I remember all of that to. Thanks for writing that I agree with Janet do did it so well. Love ya!

Valerie said...

I am writing through tears right now. That was beautiful Marcie. You need to put that in your own handwriting somewhere special. So cool that she is finally with your Grandpa- and Emmett too!!

Kami said...

Marcie, I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your sweet grandma. I loved your entry and reading about all of the fond memories you had...she sounds like she was an amazing grandma.
Love ya,
Kami

Eardley Fam said...

Oh Marcie-I love your tribute to your grandma-she sounds like such an amazing woman. How wonderful that we know she is reunited with her sweetheart and can be with little Emmett too.

Elder and Sister Frank said...

Grandma Woods always had that grace and humility about her Marcie that you captured in your piece. It made me think of little things too. I remember during our dinners how she always complemented me in a quiet way on how I could cut meat. Eventually, I believed her even though I'm sure I mutilated some. Good job!
Dad

jongofish said...

I loved reading about your memories of Grandma. It makes me smile to think of all the sweet things she did throughout her life here. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Larissa

Michael, Michelle, Lil, and Pay-pay said...

Marcie, Your grandma sounds like a neat person and I can see why you love her so. I am sorry that you lost her but I know one day you will see her again. Love Michelle